With the number of local builders out there it can be difficult to find a builder to stand out from the crowd. It’s not easy deciding who to trust with delivering your dream project, on time and on budget. To help you through the process of selecting the right option for you, we’ve compiled these questions to ask the builder.
Ask the Builder…
1. How long have they been in business?
We have been in business for 15 years, building a reputation locally for innovative design and attention to detail.
2. What are their professional credentials? Do they belong to any professional organisations or trade bodies?
John O’Connell Building Solutions is a Constructionline accredited contractor. All of our electrical and gas work is carried out to NICEIC and Gas Safe standards.
We also have extensive experience working closely with bodies such as English Heritage.
Get into detail…
3. Do they have all the required licenses? Furthermore, are they adequately insured? Are they VAT registered? Also, check if they’ll be using subcontractors and, if so, are those subcontractors insured?
John O’Connell Building Solutions are fully licensed and insured. Everyone working on your project will be working for you on behalf of John O’Connell Building Solutions. Therefore, your project is covered by our insurance and our exacting standards.
4. Can they provide references from both current and past clients? Can you go and see their work?
Click here to read some testimonials from some of our clients. We are proud to say that we receive most of our work through referrals, so if you’d like to speak to some of our previous clients about our work give us a call on 01206 396667 and we’d be happy to provide you with some references.
Have a planned list of questions, including not only on the quality of the work, but if deadlines were kept. Most importantly, “would you use these builders again?”
5. Have they worked in the area before? Are they familiar with local building codes?
We have worked extensively in Manningtree and the surrounding areas on numerous projects from landscaping to new builds, and have even worked on projects alongside local councils.
John O’Connell Building Solutions routinely take care of all the planning applications, paperwork and building regulations throughout your project.
Good, so far…
6. Are their worksites organised?
Visit a current worksite or speak with past clients. You can tell a lot about a builder from their worksite! A slapdash attitude on site can reveal a lack of organisation or lack of attention to detail higher up the chain.
We take site management and health & safety seriously. All John O’Connell workers arrive in branded high-vis clothing and vehicles, and we pride ourselves on maintaining high standards throughout every stage of every build.
We also have all our own plant equipment.
7. Are they actually capable of taking on your project? How many projects will they be working on simultaneously? And who will be doing the work?
We are capable of taking on projects of any size, and our team holds the skills and experience to carry out any task professionally, including; groundworks, brickwork, roofing, joinery, carpentry, plastering, electrics, tiling, flooring, plumbing and decorating – delivering you a seamless build.
One of our company principles visits every project, every day, ensuring everything is up to our standards and to answer any queries.
8. Have they previously built projects of a style similar to yours? Do they have experience working with the specifics of your project?
Take a look through our gallery of projects or give us a call to talk about the projects we’ve worked on during our 15 years in the building trade.
Down to the nitty gritty…
9. Is the price an estimate or quote? What happens if costs change during the project?
Of course, money is a factor, but don’t be guided purely by price. Choose the builders who you trust to come through with the build rather than simply the cheapest option.
Because John O’Connell provide you with a fixed price quotation at the outset, you know how much your project will cost.
10. Will they provide you with an easy to understand but detailed contract – including drawings and specifications? Make sure you also find out about their warranty, whether they’re willing to offer compensation if your project overruns, and when they will be asking for payment?
John O’Connell construction projects come with a fixed price quotation because we will always make sure you understand what you are getting.
To find out more about John O’Connell Building Solutions give us a call today on 01206 396667 to discuss your project or get some professional advice.